2007-03-14

I'm a closet fan of slasher movies....

During a rare night of "quiet" I pulled out Saw 2 and popped some popcorn. I have now watched all 3 of the Saw movies. I just did so out of order.

I don't enjoy psychological thrillers. I think it is because my imagination is active enough. I don't need mystery and suspense for enjoyment. WYSIWYG thank you very much.

Saw is not a psychological thriller. It's not quite "slash" either. (I would classify Mr. Zombie as being more in the "slash" genre.) Nevertheless, they give me what I want. Blood, guts and giggles.

Tonight I considered why these types of movies bother some people. Sure, if it were to happen in real life it would be horrible, no good and very bad. HOWEVER, it's a movie. It's exactly the same as some cheesy love story where the woman gets swept off her feet and the theater sighs at the same time.

Blah. Give me 1000 Corpses any day.

Horror films are dirty. (And I don't mean *that* kind of dirty.) For 90 minutes the characters crawl around in blood, brains, animal skin and feces. The houses are so decrepit that you can almost smell the stench from the couch. Dirt = discomfort. Mix that with an incredibly painful situation and people have trouble with it.

Horror doesn't make you feel all lovey-dovey like Mr. Grant and co-star of the week does. It doesn't make you want something you don't have. Instead, it makes you feel better about what you do have.

Take that Miss. B. Jones. Ha.