Misbehaving...
... is what I have been doing in regards to this blog. It has been neglected due to time consuming exams, licensing courses and a move. The good news is that now I am in a hub of activity, a mecca of entertainment and in a location where art and culture is born.*
I say that Toronto is more exciting than Ottawa but that isn't without exception. In addition to participating in other silly tourist activities, I saw Feist (and Shaye and the Cowboy Junkies and others) on Parliament Hill on Canada Day.
Feist is exploding.
I was first introduced to Feist with the release of her album "The Reminder." I fell in love (and I don't do that easily).
The beauty with Feist is that she has achieved mainstream notoriety with a very non-mainstream sound (dare I say it is still fairly "indie"?) Her single "My Moon My Man" has been a regular feature on Much Music's Video Flow and both the video and the sound of the song is very much like "Mushaboom" from "Let It Die" (2004) (which was only recognized in certain crowds). Her Ottawa concert date sold out and she closed the Canada Day festivities on Parliament Hill. I don't know if such things are qualities of "mainstream" and "top-40" artists but I bet it helps. And if you still don't believe me, take a look at the records sales.
I recognize that her sound isn't for everyone but her vocal ability, however, is worth noting. And the music is clever. What more could one want?
But do all artists want such success? I would imagine they do. Even if it isn't good for them. (see the story of the late Michael Hutchence from INXS for an example). Is there ever a happy medium? I may have to search for an example.
I have nothing but time.
There's nowhere to go but on Heart on my sleeve Not where it should be The song's out of key again
*I admit that this sentence may be a bit of an exaggeration.