2007-02-12

I have guilty pleasures....

I own the Fergie album, the Gwen Stafani albums and the Justin Timberlake albums (among others, of course). Music critics sometimes argue that the compilations lack integrity but music lovers disagree. A lot can be said for a well produced album and it's top 40 to a new extreme.

I think the main reason I listen to this music is because I enjoy experiencing the progression of the album. It's unique (to a certain extent), it's easy to listen to but most importantly, it's fun. Music should not always be about assessing how complicated the harmony is or if the beats are true to its proclaimed style. If you like it - you like it. No explanation required.

So this leads me to the Grammy Awards. The usual suspects were nominated and I'm not really surprised with the results. Justin Timberlake walked away with a couple, as did the Dixie Chicks (I'm a big fan of "I'm Not Ready To Make Nice.") I found it refreshing that most of the awards were not only part of the top 40 and recognizable but that they also met whatever technical standard these awards rely on.

What I don't understand, however, is the award for Best Rap Song (which is a song writer's award). "Money Maker" by Ludacris Featuring Pharrell won. Huh? Is this an example of what's popular winning as opposed to quality? If so, it would not explain Wolfmother beating not only System of a Down but also Nine Inch Nails in the Best Hard Rock Performance category. Perhaps, instead it's an example of the top 40 also actually being quality music.

I am not particularly fond of Ludacris or Pharrell (although I would take the later over the former if forced to choose) but I am happy to see that some legitimacy has been given to my age old argument that sometimes top 40 isn't crap.